The Canadian Sport School (CSS) is a Canadian Sport Institute (CSI) program created to help alleviate the pressures of balancing academics and athletics and to ensure that our future Olympians and National Team members have all the skills and resources needed to continue to progress as high performance athletes, while excelling both on the playing field and in the classroom. The Canadian Sport School provides an opportunity for 30 secondary school athletes (grades 10 to 12) to use school hours and to earn academic credit for:
- Physical training within the IGNITE™ Athlete Development Program – Developing athleticism and new skills in the following areas: Strength Training, Sprint Training and basic gymnastics movements.
- Independent Study Blocks – Daily time for homework completion, quiet study or online learning.
- Sport Performance Seminars – Weekly seminars in the areas of high performance will support the students’ athletic knowledge and development towards success.
For more about the Canadian Sport School Victoria, please visit: www.thecanadiansportschool.com
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and committed individual to join our team as the IGNITE Coach Intern with the Canadian Sport School Victoria. The intern will be active in the daily training environment to provide support to the Canadian Sport School Coach by assisting in supervising athlete training. The intern will also assist with athlete testing, data collection and other administrative coaching duties. This opportunity will provide the intern coach with an introduction to practical Strength & Conditioning fundamentals and an opportunity to apply those skills in a practical setting with high performance athletes. The intern will receive mentorship from the Canadian Sport School Coach and work closely with the CSI Performance Services team.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES:
- Support the CSS high performance daily training environment by assisting the Coaches with delivery of technical programming, ie. workout setup/takedown, technical supervision, video recording as well as light facility & equipment maintenance
- Assist with athlete testing, data collection and data management
- Support the delivery of weekly CSS Sport Performance seminars
- Assist in collecting and managing data for the provincial IGNITE Athlete Development Program
- Assist at major Talent Development events; ie. PODIUM SEARCH, Athlete Advance(s), International Coaching School
- Engage with athletes and staff in a professional manner consistent with a high school environment
- Assist with project based work as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree (completed or in progress), preferably in a human performance domain
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong understanding of the Canadian Sport for Life model and the sport performance pathway
- Ability to work with/support adolescent athletes in the Train to Train/Train to Compete phases
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity within a sport performance laboratory an asset
- Background as a coach or a high performance athlete an asset
- NSCA-CSCS certification (or working towards certification) an asset
- NCCP Coach Certification an asset (preferably in the areas of Athletics, Olympic Weightlifting, or Gymnastics)
- Current First Aid certification an asset
LOCATION: Canadian Sport Institute Pacific, Victoria Campus at PISE
4371 Interurban Road, Victoria, BC
The internship will run from September 9, 2019 to June 12, 2020. There is one scheduled break during this period (spring break, March 2020). There will be some required orientation and training time in January to help prepare the intern.
We are looking for the intern to commit to either the morning or afternoon cohort or a blend of both, depending on their availability. The intern schedule will generally follow the weekly timetable below, with minimal variation:
Day: Morning Cohort: Afternoon Cohort: Hours:
Monday: 8:00am - 11:30am 12:00pm - 3:30pm 3.5
Tuesday: 8:00am - 9:45am 12:45pm – 2:30pm 1.75
Wednesday: 8:00am - 11:00am 12:30pm – 3:30pm 3
Thursday: 8:00am - 9:45am 12:45pm – 2:30pm 1.75
CLOSING DATE: Thursday April 18, 2019 @ 5:00pm Pacific.
TO APPLY:Please submit your cover letter and resume as ONE document via our GetHired page: https://canadiansportinstitutepacific.gethired.com/
We thank all applicants for their interest; however please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Sport Institute Pacific is an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Sport Institute Pacific – Powering Performance. Inspiring Excellence.