What you’ll do:
Your role as Director of Operations will be to support Fannex with all facets of accounting, payroll, benefits administration, and human resources initiatives.
Accounting & Payroll
- Consider and implement procedures that will continually improve internal controls
- Lead and direct the annual operating and capital budget – including establishing base assumptions, information gathering, consolidation, and ultimately presentation material (including cash flow and financial covenant projections) for management, the board of directors, lenders and other stakeholders with a focus on presentation.
- Preparation of annual financial statements and notes.
- Participate in cash management of the operations.
- Performance of monthly and other periodic reconciliations / supporting schedules – commensurate with monthly financial statement preparation. ie. Performing a reasonableness review of all income statement accounts.
- Assist in preparation of relevant filings to Federal, Provincial & Civic authorities (GST, PST, Payroll tax, property tax).
- Manage monthly capital expenditure reporting including updating costs spent to date on each project, updating forecasted costs to complete.
- Report and capture foreign exchange and foreign exchange hedging strategies, including preparation of quarterly reporting, monthly mark to market entries, ongoing transactions.
- Properly code invoices and allocate expenses. Accurately enter invoices into accounting software.
- Process accounts payable invoices and accounts receivable invoices in a timely manner.
- Prepare wire transfers and online payments as required.
- Complete GST & PST remittances, bank reconciliations, and credit card reconciliations.
- Complete semi-monthly payroll processing, ROE’s, account reconciliations, journal entries, government remittances.
- Collect timesheets according to the payroll cut off dates and maintain a consistent format for timesheets.
- Track and record staff vacations in the master schedule
- Calculate employee taxable benefits and prepares and distributes T-4 summaries in accordance with legislated deadlines.
Human Resources & Benefit Administration
- Manage the employee acquisition process including the creation of job descriptions, job postings and recruitment materials.
- Actively participate in interviews and selection of quality candidates.
- Develop HR processes that reflect best practice, continuity, and meet the needs of the company.
- Enroll employees and monitor inclusion in various benefit plans.
- Update and adjust staff information as required.
- Review monthly premiums to ensure accuracy/completeness.
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding all HR and benefit-related topics.
- Maintain employee files ensuring all necessary information and forms are securely stored.
- Compose drafts of correspondence (memos, emails, letters).
- Support preparation of organization reporting documents/presentations.
- Support meeting preparation (room bookings, preparation, and delivery of agendas/materials/minutes).
- Organize and oversee special events and projects as required.
- Complete monthly expenses and credit card reconciliations for management.
- Professional Accounting Designation and/or significant business experience.
- An individual who has a strong entrepreneurial spirit that can thrive in a start-up tech industry.
- Minimum of three years of hands-on experience in the areas of full-cycle accounting.
- Professional accounting or payroll designation will be considered an asset.
- Must have knowledge of computerized payroll/accounting systems.
- Must have working-level knowledge of Canadian and provincial payroll regulations and guidelines.
- Experience with full-cycle recruitment will be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of employment standards legislation required.
- You are a self-motivated individual who can get things done on time without ignoring the quality of work.
- Flexible to wear several hats and roll up sleeves.
- You have above average skills in the use of PC-based tools (spreadsheets, word-processing, and databases). In addition, comfort and previous experience in using email and web-based technology are required.
- Experience working with HRMS will be considered an asset. Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and deadline sensitive.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Ability to communicate and provide service to a variety of employees.
- A self-starter with the capacity to manage multiple tasks and employee/manager requests.